Thursday, August 21, 2008

Elemental at Gasworks

I am still recovering from dinner there two nights ago. Ugh. Talk about overkill. We counted after this dinner and realized we had been served a before dinner shot, a cocktail, 10 glasses of wine (!), an aperitif, and a digestif! Obviously I didn't drink all that, nor do I think anyone should attempt it. Maybe they were just being generous that night, but all that alcohol is really not necessary. After about the fourth glass of wine, I don't remember what I ate!

However, I do like the concept of this restaurant. Menus will be provided if you ask, but you realize very quickly that they would rather do it their way. Meaning, they are in complete control and cook what they feel like and send it to your table as soon as it is ready. They are nice enough to ask if there is anything you don't eat and all of the wines they choose are paired with the food for you. All of our dishes were served family style. We got there at 5pm and didn't leave until 9:30. Definitely an experience.

The restaurant is small and very comfortable. The kitchen is open and there is a bar.

We started with a shot. No idea what it was. Maybe Lillet Blanc? Something pretty light.

Then, they brought us a very nice bowl of truffled popcorn. This came with our cocktail. We each had different cocktails and I know mine had Pimm's in it, but not sure what else.

Then, huge slices of fresh yellow tomatoes with a Parmesan flan. There was bread on the side. This was fantastic and light and fresh. A nice way to start the meal.

Next, was a small plate of freshly grilled shrimp with spicy chipotle guacamole. This was good, but didn't really go with the rest of the dishes.

Next, we had crepes filled with lamb and a soft cheese. These were simple and also really good.

Next, ravioli filled with cheese and small slices of grilled veal.

Next, grits with an egg yolk. (We had a debate whether it was a duck egg or a chicken egg. Whichever, it was rather large.)

Next, a wonderful salmon, medium rare, with green beans.

Next, steak. (I don't actually remember this course. Too much wine by this point.)

Next, a rather large cheese plate with several cheeses.

Next, three full-size desserts. A raspberry sorbet, a chocolate mouse, and a fruit tart. I had a bit of each....and that is where I started to feel really sick.

The rest of the night was a blur, and not in a good way. When we left, there were three full glasses sitting in front of me and there was no way I could have finished those without getting sick.

Prices were reasonable for such a feast, but still, overkill!

Maybe I will look at the menu next time, if there is a next time.


P.S. I also just remember a course of tiny crab cakes! Those were good too!

No comments: